Frequently Asked Questions


Do you live in a house with shared facilities? Then your home has a gray (non-organic) and a green (organic) container. These bins are picked up every other week. Also, old paper is collected from home. Plastic and glass can be disposed of free at many supermarkets. For the house waste schedule of your house, see:

Yes, you can if you have a house in Eindhoven for less than 4 months, but you are not registered here. You will not receive this pass automatically, but you can request it from Cure.
You need:
* A letter or e-mail from the owner of the house in which he states that he pays or will pay the waste levy.
* The number of people staying in the home.
* The date the house is involved.

If you have everything together, call Cure on telephone number 14 040, waste option. The temporary pass is not valid at the landfill (environmental street).

Most landlords do not rent out to students. For the homes that are suitable for this, a deposit (3 times the rent) and/or guarantee taker is required for the rent.
This can be one of the parents or someone else who is living in the Netherlands. This person does need an income from work. 
There are a maximum of 2 residents, in some (sub) municipalities even a maximum of 1.
The rental agreement comes in the name of the main occupant, with any co-occupant also being mentioned in the lease.

By delivering all necessary documents neatly and completely: last 3 pay slips, (employer's declaration), copy ID proof and completed registration form. After this, these documents will be examined to see if you can rent the house. If, with you, other candidates are interested in the same house, the owner of the house will make his decision based on the documents supplied. The information provided by the client will be treated confidentially

Of course you would like to bring your loyal pet to your new home. However, the landlords decide whether or not to accept pet (s). The answer therefore differs per home / landlord. Inquire with one of our employees, they can inform you specifically about this per property. In most homes that we have in the rental, no pets are allowed. Of course we are looking for a solution together with you.

We do not have waiting lists! Interested parties who meet the income requirements can schedule a viewing directly and without obligation. There is therefore no minimum registration period.

Yes, there is an income requirement. You must earn a (possibly jointly) gross monthly income that is three times higher than the requested rental price.

The first payment, before we can hand over the keys to you, consists of the first month rent and deposit. The costs per object are explained in the advertisement on our website.

Not always. If the landlord is present, try to leave as good an impression as possible and use the opportunity to ask questions.

The tenant usually pays the landlord a deposit of one or two months rent. This deposit remains with Friendly Housing under management until the tenant has delivered the accommodation after a termination notice. The deposit serves as security for 'good' tenancy by the tenant. After completion, the house must be left in good condition. There must be no rent arrears and any upholstery and any furniture must be left in full and in good condition.

No, we work during office hours.

You can visit homes every working day during office hours, 09.30 hours and 17.00 hours.

If you would like to schedule a viewing, you can contact our office by e-mail or telephone. You can also register on our website. No costs are charged for this. Viewing is without obligation. If you are unable to attend, you must inform us in good time.

Searching is very easy on the website. Select a suitable home; you can select more properties at once. Our office will receive 1 e-mail with all the properties you have selected. You can also inform us about your requirements and wishes, after which one of the employees will see which properties suit you best. We can be reached by e-mail and telephone.

If you like the house, you can respond immediately. Send a mail message directly. You can of course also contact us by phone or visit our office.

We strive to keep our housing offers as up-to-date as possible. In busy times, the rental can go faster than updating our website.

Living is more than having a roof over your head. Friendly Housing finds it important that you live comfortably. Not only in your home, but also in your neighborhood. Everywhere people live, something can go wrong. Rubbish on the balcony, a barking dog, a handy neighbor in the late evening. What is a source of irritation for one person does not even affect another person. That's why we have to take each other into account. Pleasant living is a matter of giving and taking. We ask our tenants to first come into contact with the nuisance disturber themselves and to discuss the nuisance. If this does not improve, you can send us an e-mail and explain the issue.

Did you pay a deposit upon entering into the rental agreement? Then it will be refunded 6 weeks after the official end date of your rental agreement. Repayment will only take place if you have fulfilled all obligations arising from the rental agreement.


You can send us an e-mail in which you wish to cancel the contract with your full name, residential address and room number. You also state the date on which you wish to terminate the agreement. You must have served at least your minimum rental period before you can cancel, with due observance of 1 calendar month.

Our bank account number is:
IBAN: NL 81 RABO 0333 1836 06

In the name of Stichting Derdengelden Friendly Housing BV

We rent our housing objects on behalf of various owners. They wish a minimum rental period of at 12 months.

When you rent a house with your own facilities, you must indeed pay it. With the proceeds from the waste levy, the municipality pays the costs for collecting and processing household waste. The levy is on the annual tax assessment that you receive at home.

To get housing allowance, you must meet the following conditions:

  • Your income and that of your allowance partner and co-residents is not too high.
  • Your capital and that of your allowance partner and co-residents is not too high.
  • You, your allowance partner and co-residents have the Dutch nationality or a valid residence permit.
  • Your rent is not too high. You rent an independent living space.
  • You are 18 years or older.
  • You live in the Netherlands.
  • You, your allowance partner and co-residents are registered with the municipality at your home address.
  • You and the landlord have signed a rental contract. 
  • You pay the rent and can demonstrate this with bank statements. *

For more information about allowances, go to

* No rights can be derived from the above information.

You apply for rent allowance to the tax authorities.
More information:

For notifications that are not urgent, but can not wait until the next working day, call our emergency number: 085-02 00 578 Our office hours are from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm (with the exception of official public holidays).
Examples of these malfunctions or calamities are:

  • Blockage of the toilet and / or sewerage
  • Gas leak - Burglary / window damage
  • Leakage - Short circuit / general failure of electricity
  • Heating problems

We would like to point out that if the service company finds that the fault was caused by negligence on the part of the lessee, or if the fault could have been waiting until the next working day, the invoice will be charged to you in that case.

When can I call emergency number 112? The emergency number 112 is there for emergency assistance. So when your or someone else's life is in immediate danger. For example if you or someone else is badly injured and urgently needs medical attention. Or when you witness a crime. For example, violence, murder or burglary.

Communicate where and what help is needed When you call 112, please provide:

  • what is going on;
  • where help is needed;
  • which emergency service seems to be necessary: ​​police, fire brigade or ambulance

The operator immediately connects you to the right emergency service in your area.

In case of emergency: call 112 Call 112 in life-threatening and flawed situations.
For instance:

  • collision with wounded; maltreatment;
  • robbery;
  • if someone becomes unwell;
  • burglary or theft in the act;
  • kidnapping or attempted kidnapping.

No rush, but help is needed It may also happen that you do need police, but the situation is not life-threatening or in the act.
Then call the national police number: 0900-8844.
For example, think of:

  • incorrectly parked cars;
  • neighbors quarrel;
  • rowdy behavior;
  • noise disturbance.


People who want to rent via Friendly Housing must be able to identify themselves. In addition, the candidate tenants must have sufficient financial capacity to be able to meet the monthly rent. For this we request access to an employment contract and 3 recent salary slips. When in doubt, we do a credit check, we call the employer and ask for references from former landlords. As soon as we have received the necessary information, we will present the prospective tenant (s) to you.


Bij gestoffeerde verhuur komt in de meeste gevallen de energie op naam van de nieuwe huurder te staan. Let er op dat tussen twee huurperioden in, de energie weer even op uw naam staat.

If your tenant rents at least 6 or 12 months (or longer), the rent will be increased on 1 July of the new year. You will receive a letter from our financial department around March / April if you want to increase the rent. Following your response, we will inform your tenant. We must inform your tenant before 1 May.


Yes, since July 1, 2016 there are more possibilities to include an end date in the rental agreement. It is possible to rent a house temporarily or to rent it temporarily. For example, students who are allowed to live on a campus during their study time. Or a house owner who wants to temporarily rent out his property because it is also for sale. There are various legal options for different situations.

Friendly Housing is familiar with the demands that banks make for letting with the vacancy law clause. The rental process is the same. However, there are fewer interested parties in rental with this clause and the rent is usually lower.

If the house is rented, bare, unfurnished or soft furnished, it is wise that you are well insured. The following insurance policies may be of interest: third party insurance, contents insurance and home insurance (VVE). With all these insurances, you must inform the insurance company that the property will be rented out. If you have not communicated that the property is being rented out, the possibility may arise that any damage suffered is not (fully) reimbursed.

When the house is part of an apartment complex, the landlord must check (in the splitting deed and the regulations) or mention must be made of letting at the association of owners. A combination of owners can not prohibit rental. They can oblige the landlord to let the tenant sign the regulations. When renting to expats, this document (possibly a shortened version) must be delivered in English.

Most mortgage lenders have included a rental clause in their mortgage terms. It is often stated that rental is not permitted without (written) permission from the mortgage lender. It is possible that the mortgage provider has additional requirements. For example, they can oblige you to include a diplomatic clause or vacancy clause in the rental agreement. For the latest information you can always contact one of our employees

Information about Eindhoven

The weather in the Netherlands has a maritime climate, so the summers are not tropical and the winters are not extremely cold. The average temperature in the Netherlands is about 3 ° C in the month of January and 22 ° C in July, so in the winter you have medium to winterwear to wear clothes, in the winter you need medium to warm clothing. For everyone who lives in the Netherlands, the weather in the Netherlands is irritating. Not because it is too cold because it is too hot, but because it often rains. Umbrellas and raincoats are really necessary. Via outside radar you can keep in the hole when it is raining

What can we tell you about the Dutch? Of course you will already have many ideas and expectations about what life in the Netherlands will look like. Many stereotypes define the Dutch as crumbling, clog-bearing, greedy, tall blond cheese makers. However, the Dutch do not smoke half as much weed as all internationals who live here, but they are the tallest people in the world. They gave up wearing clogs a long time ago, but it is true that many Dutch people are blond. The part about greed is not true either. When you go to a bar, the Dutch always pays rounds to share with their friends. If you only try to buy one beer, the bartender may look strange to you. The most important thing about the Dutch is that they are right in front of them. They tell you directly what they think of you.

The Dutch usually eat three times a day: breakfast, lunch and dinner. You will notice that there is a lot of bread in the Dutch daily menu. Sandwiches are very popular here for breakfast and lunch. All in all, the Netherlands has a long history of international relations and this is reflected not only in the way Dutch people communicate with other countries, but also in how they accept the diversity of cuisines. So you can be sure that you will find almost everything you need to meet your cooking needs in supermarkets or open markets. For the people who come from China, India or other subcontinents, all items are available in the Netherlands. Rice is available in all supermarkets. Eating out is very expensive. It is always better to cook with friends. The best fries in Eindhoven (and also the whole of the Netherlands are already 5 years in a row) can be found at Friture Martin Zwerts at Boschdijk 436.

Many internationals find it difficult to make friends in a new country. On the other hand, it is not that difficult to get to know Dutch people and to find new friends. The Dutch are very open-minded people, especially in the south of the Netherlands (where you will live).


Eindhoven is the 5th largest city in the Netherlands and is called the center of technology, innovation and design. This status is largely due to the establishment of Philips in Eindhoven in the 1890s. Since then the city has expanded rapidly and the region became of great importance for other technological companies. Eindhoven has a little over 200,000 inhabitants, of which almost 17,000 are students at the Eindhoven University of Technology and the Fontys University of Applied Sciences. Eindhoven has an area of ​​88 square kilometers. Eindhoven has an airport (Welschap) that is mainly used by charter companies such as Ryanair, Transavia and Wizz Air. These companies offer cheap tickets for all major cities in Europe. Eindhoven Airport is therefore an excellent way to explore the rest of Europe during your stay in the Netherlands.


Most bars are located at Stratumseind: the largest bar street in the Netherlands. On the peak nights, from Thursday to Saturday, you can meet about 20,000 people in that street. 

For larger concerts and music events, Eindhoven has the Frits Philips Muziekgebouw, the Beursgebouw and the Effenaar. The 'Irish pub', the bar 'Highest Time' or 'Café Bommel' are places that differ from Stratumseind, and have their own bohemian atmosphere and different types of music. The bars and cafes at Wilhelminaplein, such as Café Wilhelmina or Kaffee de Groot, hold weekly jazz or blueconcerts or other similar events. The age of people in this area is generally higher than at Stratumseind.

Besides places to go out there are also many larger events that take place all year round around the city:

  • Young Art Night is a quarterly organized night event at the Van Abbemuseum.
  • Dutch Design Week (DDW) may sound a bit snobbish and not too interesting, but the city becomes really lively with various events that are held here and there for a whole week. Eindhoven feels like Amsterdam this week or at another busy place (just like during GLOW, but that is less about nightlife)
  • And much more, you just have to look for other great sources to go out in Eindhoven


  • The nightlife is divided into 4 districts in Eindhoven
  1. Stratumseind ​​- Hotspot for young audiences in particular with discotheques Market
  2. Hotspot where there are many terraces and where you can watch people De Bergen (Kleine & Grote Berg & Bergstraat)
  3. De Grote Berg (part of the city center) is a more or less mixed street with a few offices, shops, galleries, restaurants and apartments. Strijp
  4. District with Natlab (cinema), Klokgebouw, Lofts, Area51, 040 BMX, Boiler room, Boiler room, Popei and Blue Collar Hotel

Generally there are about three large supermarket chains that are popular among the Dutch: Jumbo, C1000 and the most popular - Albert Heijn.

In these supermarkets you have a wide range of products, from vegetables to toiletries, but you can expect that prices in general will often be higher. Most of the supermarkets mentioned, however, also have a cheap house brand.

Many students go to the supermarkets, such as Lidl, Aldi or Nettorama, which are much cheaper, but have a smaller variety of products and often do not sell AAA brands.

Opening hours for the large supermarkets can be found on In addition to the large supermarkets there are many small supermarkets specializing in Chinese, Turkish, Iranian, Indian, Polish, Russian etc. food. Many of them are located on the Kruisstraat. There is also Ekoplaza, a Dutch vegetarian, vegan, ecological network of food supermarkets.

There are also weekly markets:

  1. City center: every Tuesday from 09:00 to 14:00 in the winter and until 15:30 in the summer
  2. Woenselsmarkt: every Saturday at the end of the Kruisstraat. A huge market full of vegetables, fruit, flowers, clothing and more. From 09:00 to 17:00
  3. Woens XL: Wednesday morning from 9 am to 12 noon in the parking lot of the WoenselXL shopping center
  4. Bioloigcal Market Wilhelminaplein: this weekly market takes place on Saturday and offers a wide range of regional and organic foods: vegetables, cheese, meat, bread. From 10:00 to 16:00

A useful source for the Eindhoven markets is

The student doctor, or general practitioner, provides full medical assistance according to the standards set for the medical practice in the Netherlands. EU students must have their own land insurance that can be used. But they should know the policy conditions of their insurance and should know whether they should apply for AON insurance for students. Also keep in mind that the Dutch healthcare system is something that could be called "patient-based" versus more conventional "doctor-based"

  • Doctor-based healthcare systems are global and in this setting the physician is the one who tells the patient exactly what to do and there is little input (apart from defining what the problem is) on the patient side.
  • With regard to the less current patient-based care model, the patient makes his / her own research into what the diagnosis could be, appears with the appointment in the GP's practice, explains the problem and asks for certain tests to be carried out. or to be part of the body that has to be thoroughly investigated. So in this case the doctor is more of an advisor - he advises the patient and is more of a manager / supervisor - and tells what he has to do.

There are various bicycle shops in Eindhoven. In these shops, you can either buy a new or secondhand bike. 

You can also rent a bicycle through Swapfiets.
Swapfiets is the world's first bike subscription service. Their concept is simple: you receive a bicycle for an extended monthly amount. They ensure that your Swapfiets bike always works. Bike broken? Contact them and within 12 hours they will repair your bike whenever and wherever you want. If they can not solve it within 10 minutes, they will deliver you another bike. As a result, you are always assured of a working bicycle and back on the road again in no time.

Do you have a question?

Petrie is happy to help you

Contact us